Friday, May 22, 2009

33 things you didn't know (or didn't really need to know) about me.

1. I was born in a super small town in Iowa, my parents divorced when i was 2. I then moved to another small town in Iowa, then to Illinois (right outside of Peoria). I lived there until i was 14 or 15, then moved to Columbia. I moved away from Columbia for 6 or 7 months and lived in Milwaukee, and then moved back to Columbia. I love and hate Columbia pretty equally.

2. If you have ever looked at my ears they are folded at the top. I hate this more than anything, and have thought about getting plastic surgery to fix it. My dad said when i was born i got stuck and they had to pull me out with big tongs by my ears and that's why they are like that, they never popped back. Not sure if that is true but..... regardless i am very self conscious about them and i hate it.

3. When i was little i was really good at rollerskating (like really really good) i won a bunch of awards or something. Now i can't roller skate at all, i simply forget how to do it all together.

4. I couldn't ride a bike until i was like 10 or 12.

5. My last name used to be GIOVANARDI, my great grandfather changed it to NARDI, then later changed it to NARDY.

6. I am half Italian and half Irish, though i don't think i look like either. My great grandfather was born in Italy as well as my grandfather (he lived there until he was 16). Every once in awhile you can hear the Italian in my voice and my beard is very red (so i guess that is the Irish in me).

7. When i was in the 6th, 7th, and 8th grades i was told i was a genius at math, i passed all these crazy hard tests. By the time i was in high school i was in some of the lowest math classes possible, to this day i am not very good at math. I have no idea what happened.

8. I did my first tour with a band when i was 16, i didn't even have a drivers license, i think only one of us did. When i was in high school we toured every winter, spring, and summer break. I still tour with bands i have been doing it for almost 13 years now. I love it and hate it.

9. When i lived in Milwaukee i built industrial size ovens, bigger than most peoples living rooms. They took a few months to build and i had no experience doing that type of work. I had to weld, read blue prints and fabricate these oven from scratch (basically just pieces of metal, screws, wires, duct work, and insulation). They were used for everything from curing missile heads, to drying paint on doors. I had no idea what i was doing, but somehow built them.

10. You may think i do a lot of drugs, truth is i have never done coke, heroin, LSD, ecstasy, or anything of that nature. I have only smoked pot 3 times in my life and ate it twice. I do however enjoy drinking. I'm really not that into drugs and was straight edge for along period of time.

11. I am extremely OCD, i freak out if things aren't in order. It is hard to explain but my obsessive compulsive disorder is really bad. This allows me to be extremely organized. I hardly ever loose anything. Messes really bother me though. I also have really bad social anxiety disorder.

12. When i was 15 or 16 my parents thought i was crazy, and every time i got sick i would pass out. They made me go to a hospital and get MRI's and CAT scans of my brain and i had to do all these crazy tests. I don't know what the results were no one ever told me.

13. Out of my entire family i really only care about my mother. Sure i love my family, but i am not that close with any of them except for her. I really honestly believe none of my family totally understand me, or care enough to try to understand me.

14. Sometimes i am convinced that i am slightly retarded, i swear to god. It is a total fear i have.

15. For some reason hearing aids and deaf people really really make me sad and depressed. It really bothers me. I kind of flipped out and got really sad when i was watching The Wrestler, because Mickey Rourke's character had a hearing aid. I think it is because i have fear of going deaf. I think being deaf would be the worst thing ever.

16. My left ear rings non-stop. This is from playing loud music most of my life.

17. Though i have played guitar and bass since i was 13 and have been in bands since i was 15, i can't read music. I don't know notes or chords, i make up everything i play. I know your basics (the notes of each string in standard tuning) but i if you tell me to play a C or A i couldn't tell you were they are. i generally know what key things are in. However i can write to anyone pretty easily, and have written lot's of songs and parts on bass, guitar, and keyboard. I know how to get by, but i think it is ridiculous that i have gotten this far with music without out knowing notes. I have also created my own tunings. I am slowly learning i guess.

18. I once wrote a song about cobras (or rather Bald Eagle did) and got paid $10,000 and we all got free Microsoft Zunes. The funny thing is that song is about nothing at all. One day i bought valve stem covers for the tires on our van and they were little cobra heads. After practice McCrady asked me what the fuck they were, i responded "Those are Cobras, Man". We wrote the lyrics in 10 minutes while we were recording it, we only had the music prior to going to the studio.

19. I was raised Catholic, but stopped caring when i was 16. I have very weird views on religion, and I'm not sure what i believe in.

20. I own a house

21. I have been to every state except for five (Hawaii, Alaska, North Dakota, Nevada, and Maine)

22. One of my front teeth is fake (well half of it). I knocked it out 3 different times on a microphone.

23. i have over 30 tattoos, i regret every single one of them.

24. My parents told me i wasn't supposed to be born, they had a child between my brother and me that died at birth. If that child wouldn't have died, they would have never had me. They only wanted two children.

25. I have played well over 300 shows in my life.

26. My best friend and i have the same first name, our brothers have the same name, and our mothers have the same name.

27. I hate the name Justin. I prefer it when people call me Nardy. I have thought about changing my name to just J.

28. I have been a vegetarian for 10 years (yes i have cheated a few times). I started eating fish and seafood in the last year, and have thought about going back to eating meat. However lately i am pretty pro- vegetarianism, and will definetly stick with it for awhile longer.

29. I did a lot of fucked up things as a child, i don't even know where to begin.

30. In the most roundabout way possible, i am related to Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway.

31. I don't know how to swim.

32. When i was in the 2nd grade i bought Metallica's "Kill em All" on tape, it changed my life.

33. When i was in the 5th grade my neighbor killed himself. I can still remember seeing the cops clean the blood off his wall.

No comments: